Once we accept the fact that Muhammad married a 6 year old and consummated the relationship (had sex) when she was 9 or 10 years old, we must ask what this says about Islam and Moslems:
1. Islam does not have a monopoly on bad behavior; there are fanatical and violent Jews, Christians, Hindus, etc. The majority of Moslems are good people and in no way could any defects within Islam justify the mistreatment of Moslems.
2. That being said, it is a legitimate question why in this day and age a disproportionate amount of religious violence emanates from the Islamic world. Is this by chance or are their elements in the Koran that contribute to this?
3. Both the followers of Christianity and Islam have passed through violent periods, but there are distinct differences between the foundational prophet and text of both of these religions. To the best of my knowledge, no where in the New Testament does Jesus exhort his followers to lift up the sword against non-believers. In contrast, Muhammad personally led battles and slew his enemies. Whereas Jesus is presented as a chaste figure, Muhammad had sexual intercourse with a young girl and was married to 11 women.
4. Perhaps the aforementioned point explains why it has been relatively easier for Christianity to become less violent and fanatical over time.
5. There are certainly figures within Judaic texts who lead violent and lustful lives, like King David. But, to the best of my knowledge, Judaism recognizes their behaviors as negative and these figures as imperfect. In contrast, Islamic tradition does not look negatively upon Muhammad's violence and pedophilia and in fact considers him as a perfect model for human behavior.
6. Judaism and Christianity may have some negative beliefs like intolerance towards homosexuals, but the majority of Jews and Christians either down play, ignores these elements or perform mental gymnastics to foster tolerance within their religion. This explains why there are liberal churches and synagogues in Chicago that accept and even marry openly gay couples. But, to the best of my knowledge this is rarely if ever found in Islam.