Monday, December 27, 2010

Flight From Orthodoxy (part IV)

In prior posts I have detailed the net economic costs of massive low skilled immigration, in its legal and illegal forms. However, my personal experience has shown me that on an individual level the majority of the said immigrants are very hard working, admirable and amicable. I have known countless individuals who have accomplished more without papers, without education and without familial support than many of their native born American counterparts. And as much as I am troubled by the widespread violation of our sovereignty, I must admit that if I faced the dire economic circumstances, I would almost certainly break the law and cross the border. And although reason and economic logic dictate that we must systematically enforce our immigration laws, my heart breaks when I read about families living in fear. This leads me (and many other conservatives) to dreams of seeing an amnesty for today's undocumented immigrants, coupled with tough enforcement against tomorrow's undocumented immigrants. Because to suddenly displace those (who logically responded to the federal government's 30 years of non-enforcement) who set economic and social roots in the United States is heartless. And equally, to continue the current path of non-enforcement is unthinkable, especially in the context of exploding debt and unemployment. But, unfortunately the broken promises of the past and the political realities of today make this scenario next to impossible, which has lead to both sides hunkering down and resisting compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment